Skip to main content

Table 2 Images of the door frames studied and brief contextual description

From: A multi-technique approach, based on mobile/portable laser instruments, for the in situ pigment characterization of stone sculptures on the island of Crete dating from Venetian and Ottoman period

Monastery of Valsamonero (Vorizia village)
The Monastery of Valsamonero is situated in the southwest of the Heraklio prefecture, near the village of Vorizia and was built during the early Venetian domination. The northern aisle of the church, dedicated to Virgin Mary, was the first one constructed in the fourteenth c. CE. In 1407 CE, the southern aisle was added, dedicated to St. John the Precursor, whereas few years later the lateral aisle was built, dedicated to St. Phanourios, whose frescoes were painted in 1430 CE by the Cretan painter Constantinos Ricos. Later on, the outer narthex was constructed. The doorframe under study leads from the outer narthex to the lateral aisle [3135]. Measurements were performed on the paint of the figure of Virgin Mary in the tympanon over the door and the decoration of the architrave, focusing particularly at the coat of arms
Church of St George (Kamariotis village)
The village of Kamariotis lies in the foothills of the Psiloreitis mountain, near the village of Anogia. St. George was originally a three-aisled, vaulted basilica with domed narthex. Later, a wide exonarthex (outer narthex) was added to which leads an elaborate door frame, featuring the Lion of Saint Mark between two Kallergis (local officials) coats of arms on the architrave. The sculptured door frame was colored in different periods also during non-documented restoration work performed in the twentieth c. CE [3134, 36, 37]